Home About Me house tour Parker's story

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Upholstery Class

Three weeks ago I started an upholstery class at the community college.  When my friend asked if I wanted to take I didn't hesitate to say yes.  I have 6 chairs that need to be recovered but I was just going to pay someone to do it because well that's easier right?  This class has taught me just how wrong I was to think that way!  It's only a 6 week class because it's summer but we are taking the fall class too. 

I actually look forward to Mondays now.   I have to say that I hate staples and tacks.  I really hate them.  I've probably pulled thousands and thousands of both out of my chair among other things.   It's an old chair that I purchased at a used furniture store and being old means it had cotton, horse hair and even a few toothpicks and a lot of dust.   

The chair is gorgeous and I'm recovering it with a neutral cotton linen blend.  I cannot wait to see the final product and I'm seriously ready for Monday again!  We've learned how to sew on an industrial sewing machine {I want one} and make welting and buttons.   The whole process is a lot simpler than I thought but I can totally appreciate why it costs so much to have your furniture reupholstered.  There's a lot of time that goes into it.  I will definitely never look at a chair the same again after this class.   I'll keep the few of you who read this blog updated on my progress.  I'm off to work on another project....


1 comment:

  1. Just stopping by to say hello. =)
    Wow! What a fun class! I wish they had something like that here.

    ReplyDelete