Home About Me house tour Parker's story

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

{Cornice Boards}

I've mentioned before that I was thinking about adding cornice boards to the windows in our living room.  I really love the way they look. 

I have general knowledge of how to build things so I'm thinking this is definitely a DIY that the hubby & I can tackle on our own. Now to figure out if I want to just paint them a high gloss white or do something with fabric. 

I've seen tons of cornices made out of foam board like in the first two pictures. 
These things look like the real deal!








{all images via Pinterest}

I'm loving the linen & nailhead look.  I'm leaning towards that right now.
And I want to make ours out of wood.  I want something a little more sturdy than foam board.  I found this tutorial From These Hands that really makes me think I can do this!
  
We have some awesome plans for the living room that I'll be sharing later this week. 
With our daughter Landry's 1st birthday coming up we are in high gear to get some projects done that we've been slacking on lately. 

So, how do you feel about cornice boards?
Do you prefer painted or fabric covered?
Have you tried your hand at this?  If so any tips?

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of cornices and have been thinking they'd look great in a few of the more formal rooms in our house. I had never really considered painted ones until you mentioned them and now I want to go searching for some examples! I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have fabric ones in our dining room. They were here when we moved in, and at first I didn't like them, but once we painted the room, I fell in love with them. I definitely know you can make them as it's just fabric-covered wood. Can't wait to see your final product!! :)

    ReplyDelete